Thursday, December 13, 2007

Checkpoint

I want to go over each instruction I took from Anne Lamott to check what I'm doing that I said I would do this month.

1. Settling in to write at about the same time each day: Hmm, no. I've been switching the time because I think I'd rather get the writing done during my son's naptime and have nights free with my husband. Did that today and liked it. We'll see if it sticks.

2. Short assignments: In a way. I haven't been able to make myself get back to the gnome novel yet. After National Novel Writing Month, it always seems like I need a month away from the manuscript, whether I'm finished with the first draft or not. I have written a few shorter works and revised a new short story that I submitted today.

3. First draft -- getting everything down: I have not gotten everything down in my gnome novel yet. I have about three chapters left. Of course, they're hard ones because they include the climax and resolution and I have no idea what's going to happen in them. They should be fun for the same reasons. But see #2 above.

4. Writing characters rather than a plot: I started a short story or something that could potentially become a novel based on this piece of advice. It's fun to dream up a character and then just let her run amuck.

5. Making space and stillness for writing: Nosirree. I have been daydreaming at the kitchen sink, though, and getting some ideas that I go straight to work on when I get to my computer.

6. Writing at least 500 words per day: Nope. There were a couple of days when my son was sick that I didn't write at all, plus the two days I was sick, plus the day before yesterday when I was worn out from doing Christmas cleaning. But I think that's it. That means 8 out of 13 days I wrote at least that much, which is actually a good statistic for me.

No comments: