Saturday, December 22, 2007

New Project

Today I'm starting a new short story. The Gnomes of Anvers has been laid down to rest for a month or so before revisions. I finished the first draft and it's the longest work I've ever completed, other than the last two NaNovels which were comprised of 50,000 or so words concluding with "The End." They were a mess. Not that Gnomes has all its loose ends tied together, but I can see how to do it, and that's a vast improvement. It's very, very exciting!

I have an idea for the next book I want to write, but I'm beginning a short story instead.

I think I'll start with the trigger I used for the weekly writing blog my siblings and I share: seventh grade. Don't know where I'm going to go from there, but that's the fun of it, right?

Character drives the plot, says Anne Lamott. So I'll also be starting by getting to know my main character a bit. To take a question from Lamott, how would my character describe his or her current circumstances to a friend, before and after a few drinks?

What would he or she do when entering a party?

What's the secret thing he or she will never tell anybody?

How often does he or she shower?

Well, I don't know, so I'd better get started.

No comments: