Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Our Truest Response

"Our truest response to the irrationality of the world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth."

Madeleine L'Engle said this, and it gives me comfort. Sometimes I think I'm being selfish to write. What if I'm no good at all, and I've taken all those hours away from my family for no reason? But no. There's a reason. I could have never put it as eloquently as L'Engle, but the writing I do gives me the strength to live the other parts of my life. I rejoice in the blessings of those other parts, but it's a lot harder to rejoice when I don't have the outlet of creating.

On a more mundane level, writing reveals to me the truth of my feelings. I find that a lot of times I'm not aware of what I think or feel about something until I'm writing and it comes out on the paper. I read it and think, Right. Of course. That's what I feel.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I just happened upon your blog and your project, and I wanted to leave a word of encouragement. First of all, I think you've got a great idea. AND I think you've picked some good people to listen to and follow. I love Madeleine L'Engle.

Keep on going, lady.

Kristy Powers said...

Your words of encouragement mean a lot to me, Sherry. Thanks for your comment!