Friday, November 16, 2007

Love for the Un-fantastic

Michael Palmer has written eleven books to hit The New York Times bestseller list.

He knows how to write medical thrillers. He knows how to impart just enough insider information about medicine to let people feel they're getting in behind the scenes. And he knows one particular style to write these thrillers.

I would never argue that he was one of the Great Authors, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't disagree with me. He gives the reader a very specific experience the way that Janet Evanovich provides the specific type of story her fans look for.

It's fun to read books like that. You don't have to put your brain to work to follow where they take you.

I say this because on my list of (to-be-)Featured Authors, there are some I consider fantastic, inspiring writers, and some that competently write entertaining books. No matter which category they fall into, I believe they all have useful lessons to teach me.

P.S. I'm not too shy to say which featured authors strike me with the despair of knowing I can never do it like they do: L'Engle, King, Lewis, SARK. Feel free to disagree.

No comments: