Friday, November 23, 2007

Where the ladies at? Right here!

I am going to post again today because: 1) I am excited, 2) I am taking a NaNo break, and 3) I didn't post last night so this will make up for it.

This year, NaNoWriMo has given me a precious gift. (The last two years, it gave me the gift of just over 50,000 words in one month, all typed by me! However, many of those words were suspect if not downright lame.) I followed the NaNoWriMo link to pep talks by famous authors, which led me to the blog of Deanna Raybourn, who I raved about two days ago. The outstanding pep talk by Sara Gruen mentioned Joshilyn Jackson. I've seen Jackson's name before, but this new sighting prompted me to read her blog. Wonderful irreverence! The funny comments on her blog led me to another author: Cornelia Read.

To sum up, NaNo has given me women to read! Yes, I adore Neil Gaiman and Tom Robbins and Stephen King and Douglas Adams, but come on, enough testicles already. The women I just mentioned are intelligent and entertaining storytellers and, unlike many of my favorite female authors, alive--and that's what I know just from reading their blogs! Now I must acquire and read all their books.

For handy reference so that you too can read all their books, here are the new women in my life:

Deanna Raybourn
Sara Gruen
Joshilyn Jackson
Cornelia Read
Oh, and Juliana Baggott! also of NaNoWriMo pep talk fame and author of The Anybodies Trilogy

No comments: