Thursday, November 1, 2007

Palmer-ish Writing Exercises



Rereading Michael Palmer's biography page on his website, I noted an interesting step he took before deciding to write novels. He and his sister discussed what they really liked about thrillers, the genre he liked to read and wanted to write. His approach to the noveling process is more structured and logic-based than some other successful authors, and it may not work for everyone. But I can't see how it would hurt to discuss the best elements of a genre in which you intend to write.

Here's the first Palmerian writing exercise: Discuss, either among friends or colleagues or in a private journal, the genre you have chosen to write in. What elements are always incorporated in the best books of that genre? Take a look back at your favorite book in the genre. What passages delighted you the most? How did the author keep you turning the pages?

I'd even suggest you take a look at a book in this genre that you really didn't like. What did you hate about it?

Another Palmerian assignment: Consider the popularity of books by Palmer, Robert Ludlum, John Grisham, Arthur Hailey, and many others who write about a particular profession (the medical field, secret government agencies, lawyers, etc.) Stephen King mentioned this phenomenon briefly in his book On Writing. These books attract readers by giving them what feels like an insider's glimpse into the profession. Any profession that can only be attained by people with a certain talent or level of training will do. People are fascinated by surgeons, pilots, martial artists, clowns, whatever. Hey, even housewives have drama. The trick is to write about housewives of a certain kind.

Journal about whether or not you have knowledge or experience of a profession that would be interesting to people who aren't in the know. Take a look at what you do every day. Is there a way that it could be made "sexy" to readers of your novel?

One last item: I believe I remember hearing Michael Palmer talk about his daily writing time in an interview at the end of one of his audiobooks (probably The Patient or Natural Causes). I can't find the information to back it up right now, but I remember him saying he worked in the ER during the day, returned home to spend time with his kid, then wrote every night in his home office for two hours. As part of my Michael Palmer Month (being a parent myself with lots of work to do during the day), I pledge to write each night from 8:00 to 10:00. I think Palmer would approve of regular hours at a regular time.

After doing the exercises I just suggested, I'm off to work on my newly-begun novel.

(image at top from http://colophon.com/gallery/minsky/futurist.htm)

No comments: