Friday, November 9, 2007

A Note on Author's Rights



As a freelance writer and aspiring novelist, the rights of authors are important to me. I want authors to be paid for their work and protected from plagiarism. In this blog, I intend to respect the authors I talk about by following the letter and the spirit of copyright law regarding fair use of written material. Fair use guidelines allow the use of other people's material for certain purposes, like parody, commentary, or criticism. Whether or not anything new is created through the use of the material is particularly important. (Here's a good summary of fair use from Stanford University.)

So when I summarize advice from writers whose books I've bought or whose websites I've visited, I'll be careful not to reveal a substantial portion of their materials. I won't be quoting their words to excess. And I'll be pointing you in the direction of their books and websites so you can read more of what they have to say.

Oh, the picture is just for fun. If only my son were still young enough to be propped up next to me while I work.

No comments: